Tuesday, March 4, 2014

How Do You Say...?


One thing I feel most embarrassed over is realizing I have been mispronouncing a word.  Years ago, I learned that I was pronouncing bruschetta, bru-shetta, when in fact it is, bru-sketta.  Now, this wasn't too terribly bad as a majority of Americans order bru-shetta.  Today, I was watching Ina Garten and lo and behold, I was taken aback when Ina said, who-mmus as she scraped a bowl of hummus into her dish.  What?  You mean I've been going around calling hummus, humm-us?  Gasp!  I quickly went to my new favorite website to make sure this was the accurate pronunciation.  Indeed, Ina had it right.

So, my dear friends, if you want to check yourself on certain words go to howjsay to listen to the correct pronunciation.  It comes in handy when settling a bet between you and that pesky, no-it-all coworker on the proper pronunciation of a word.

Search your words here >> www.howjsay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment